Flexible Supplement Funding
The DiMeN DTP would like to invite MRC-funded students registered within a the Universities of Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool to submit an application for Flexible Supplement funding.
You can benefit from this award to support the following activities:
High cost training in recognised areas of strategic need (such as quantitative, interdisciplinary or in vivo skills)
- Exceptional training opportunities, such as a lab/research placement or an internship (e.g. in policy or science communication, publishing etc), or training in new advanced research skills
- Opportunities to receive training within industry or at the interdisciplinary interface
Transitions from PhD to first post-doc positions to increase the competitiveness of outstanding candidates
- NEW: PhD Innovation Placements: To work with industry partners for up to 12 months (final year and recently graduated students ONLY. Placement must be completed by March 2020).
How to apply
MRC-funded students can apply by filling in an application form, including detailed costings and a statement of support from your supervisor, via the following link: https://goo.gl/forms/3iC
All MRC-funded students registered within the Universities of Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle and Liverpool are eligible to apply, including all core DTP students, MRC industrial CASE students, MRC Unit, Institute, Centre or Partnership students and MRC Clinical research training fellows.
Those applying for career transition to first post-doc or PhD innovation placement must also include a full academic CV, emailed to the DiMeN DTP manager, to accompany the application.
Applications now OPEN and will be reviewed by our panel within 8 weeks of submission.
We may ask for additional information after receiving an application and require all successful applicants to provide a brief report acknowledging MRC support and the impact of the award within three months of undertaking the opportunity. Failure to submit a post-award report will make you ineligible to apply for future flexible funding grants. If you have already received Flexible funding, you must submit a report before being considered for any additional awards.
Funding is provided by reimbursement, original receipts will be required to access the funding - please be aware, AirBnB and any claims for alcohol on subsistence forms are NOT permitted, more guidance can be found here.
For the purposes of internships, funding is intended to provide stipend support at the UKRI current rate for no more than 3 months. If you are applying for transition to first post-doc or innovation placement, please email me directly before submitting an application.
What makes a good application to the flexible funds?
- Funding applications should clearly state the objectives and justification for the specific training/placement/opportunity you are applying for, not the general aims of your PhD
- Applications must include a detailed costing breakdown
- Applications for training/placements abroad must justify why this is the best opportunity and cannot be completed within the UK
- Clearly detail how the request will impact, benefit and advance your training and development
- Flexible funding will NOT fund equipment, consumables or conference attendance
The DiMeN website hosts flexible funding case studies from those who have been successful already: http://www.dimen.org.uk/overview/student-profiles/flexible-supplement-awards
Please direct any queries to the DiMeN DTP Manager, Dr Emily Goodall: DiMeN.DTP@sheffield.ac.uk
University of Leeds
Faculty of Biological Sciences Graduate School:
Faculty of Medicine and Health Graduate School:
University of Liverpool
Doctoral College: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/doctoral-college/
Medical Faculty Graduate School:
University of Sheffield
Researcher Portal: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ris/ecr
Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Health Graduate School: http://www.sheffield.ac.uk/faculty/medicine-dentistry-health/graduateschool
Faculty of Science Graduate School: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/sgs/index
If you are interested in undertaking training provided by an institute other than your home institute please contact the DTP manager: Dr Emily Goodall (email@example.com)